Wondering how to elope in New Orleans? No matter where you say “I Do” it’s super important that you remember to bring along all the necessary documents with you.
Need to know how to elope in New Orleans? Whether you decide to get married in the historic Vieux Carre or under the magnificent Tree of Life in Audubon Park, the last thing you want is not being able to because of a paperwork mishap. That would be the worst!
This article will discuss how to elope in New Orleans.
7 Marriage License Necessities You Will Absolutely Need:
- Current state ID, passport, or driver’s license
- Certified Birth certificates & Social Security numbers
- Nonrefundable $27.50 for a marriage license in Orleans Parish. CASH.
- $5.50 for a copy of your Marriage Certificate
- Must be there in person to apply
- Certified Final divorce decree, if married before
- Certified Death certificate, if widowed
Important Things To Consider:
- Louisiana residents have a 72 hour waiting period between the issuing of a license and the wedding.
- This may be waived by a judge – call the First City Court for more information at 504.407.0400.
- It is possible for Non-Louisiana residents to have an Orleans registered officiant waive the 72 hour waiting period if you cite “serious and meritorious reasons” on the application.
- When planning how long to stay in NOLA, don’t assume those 72 hours will definitely be waived.
- Your license is good for 30 days. After that, you’ll have to get a new one.
- Plan to get to the Courthouse by 2 pm at the latest. (Always plan ahead. There could be a giant sinkhole or, you know, a collapsed building in your way. This is New Orleans after all…
- Certified copies of your Marriage Certificate are not included, you must buy a copy at a cost of $5.50.
Marriage Certificate Info:
For the official requirements + forms and documents you need: click here.
Click here for a New Orleans Marriage License Application
ORLEANS PARISH MARRIAGE OFFICE:
1450 Poydras St, 4th floor
HOURS: 830-3 M-F, except holidays
SECOND CITY COURT – ALGIERS POINT COURTHOUSE:
(walking distance from the Canal St./Algiers Ferry)
225 Morgan Street
New Orleans, LA 70114
Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 11:30am; 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
(Arrive before 2:15 p.m.!!!!)
Mon-Fri (NOT OPEN ON STATE OR NATIONAL HOLIDAYS)
Other permits you may need: